On Saturday I made a recipe called black-eyed bean cakes. They are from a place called Ethiopia. I got it out of a book called “Recipes from around the World”. You can get it at the Louisville Free Public Library. If you think you are interested in this recipe then here are the directions and what you need.
What You Need:
7 oz (200 g ) dried black-eyed beans
6 oz (150 g ) sweet potato
A pinch of salt
A few shakes of chili powder
1 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. oil
What You Do:
- Put the black-eyed beans in a pot and soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and rub them to get the skins off. Rinse the skins away by pouring water over the beans.
- Peel one sweet potato and cut into 1 inch pieces peel and finely chop the onion.
- Put the potato pieces in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and add a pinch of salt.
- Sprinkle some ground red pepper (yay it’s a dollar at Kroger!!!)
- Put beans in food processor, add onions and pepper, and blend until smooth then do the same after adding the potato
- Sprinkle flour onto work surface, take a spoonful of the bean mixture and shape into a flat shape to make about 25 fritters
- Heat the oil into a large frying pan over medium heat fry the bean cakes 5 at a time for 4 min each round then put on paper towels
Serve immediately with green veggies or a salad. We used spinach.
In my opinion you should definitely try this recipe it is good and is healthy too!